Sunday, March 2, 2014

Phantom (Harry Hole, #9)Phantom by Jo Nesbø
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"Phantom" is the ninth novel in Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole series, and his sixth book I have read. Unfortunately, I find it a big disappointment. The usual macho, hard-boiled, and brutal style is ok. Harry being a virtual superman is not a problem. "Phantom" pushes the believability boundaries too far, though. Let me just quote a scene where Harry cuts the throat of someone who is cutting his throat.

There is way too much action. Too many twists and turns. There are too many characters. Not enough thought. No depth. A paper template of Harry Hole twisting in an idiotic Hollywood-style plot.

Nesbo's "Redbreast" is a great novel. Several of his other books are refreshing takes on crime noir, with the unique Norwegian twist. This is not a good novel unless one needs some pastime for a 12-hour flight. I have never expected I will regret wasting time for a Nesbo's book.

Two stars (for good writing and good translation).


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment