Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Hush Money (Spenser, #26)Hush Money by Robert B. Parker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

"Whenever I got involved in anything related to a university, I was reminded of how seriously everyone took everything, particularly themselves, and I had to keep a firm grip on my impulse to make fun."

This funny and insightful observation comes from an unlikely source: Robert B. Parker's Hush Money (1999). I had read quite a few Spenser novels before I began reviewing books on Goodreads and generally liked them: they provided uncomplicated, leisurely reads, great for before-bed time, when the mind needs rest from work issues. Well, the characterization is no longer precise, as this installment of Spenser's adventures is about university faculty, and I happen to have been such a specimen for quite some time. Yes, indeed, we do tend to treat ourselves way too seriously!

Hawk (a recurring character in the series) brings Spenser a new client, Mr. Nevins, "a professor at the university, author of at least dozen books [...], and a nationally known figure in what the press calls The Black Community." A graduate student committed suicide, alleged to be the result of a sexual relationship with Mr. Nevins. As a consequence of these allegations, Mr. Nevins has been denied tenure. He suspects the real reason for the denial is that his viewpoints are "relatively conservative," not fitting the progressive bent of many faculty in his department. As the case grows more complicated and additional motivations of some of the personae are discovered, Susan (also a recurring character in the series) brings Spencer another client. Enough of the setup - the story is indeed very interesting and highly recommended for those of us who read crime novels for their plot.

I am impressed by the author's astute observations of university faculty politics, particularly the deliberations of a tenure committee and dynamics of the entire tenure process. The realism of the presentation of the university environment has increased my confidence in Mr. Parker's depiction of other social settings. On the negative side, I am really tired with all the cliché banter between Spenser and Hawk as well as between Spenser and Susan. What was funny for the first three or four times becomes hard to stomach for the twentieth time.

On the other hand, the following quote is very funny:
"'Someone once remarked [...] that the reason academic conflicts are so vicious is that the stakes are so small.'"
I could also quote a viciously funny critique of university faculty that can be found on page 141 (hardcover edition), but considering the remote possibility that some of my university colleagues read this, I will not yield to the temptation.

To sum up, this is one of the best Spenser novels that I have read.

Three-and-a-half stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment