Tuesday, October 22, 2013

BurnBurn by Sean Doolittle
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I am slowly working through the January Magazine lists of best books of the year. They selected "Burn" as one of the best mysteries of 2003. Well, other than competent, clean writing, I have found nothing at all interesting in this book. The story takes place in the rich parts of LA, among rich family of owners/gurus of a fitness empire. Lives of the rich and famous. Boring! All characters are caricatures (perhaps except for Andrew, the main character, who is supposed to be an "enigma", but he is a paper-thin enigma). When I finished, I had this image of a three-year old child's rendition of Mona Lisa. That's exactly how "Burn" compares to, say, Ross Macdonald's "The Underground Man".

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment