Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Right as RainRight as Rain by George Pelecanos
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Not my favorite Pelecanos book. True, the writing is solid, plot is interesting, and the book is a real page-turner. DC is, as usual, shown masterfully. But there is nothing more there for me. I value other books by this author much more (for instance, "Hell to Pay", "King Suckerman", "Night Gardener"). I felt closer to all the racial tensions, poverty, and social issues shown in these books. Here, the author "paints-by-numbers", almost like "Now I will write about racial tensions", and he does. "Now I will write about the drug laws being the source of crime", and he does. The main characters are painted with too broad brushstrokes. Seems like the author lost his magic of showing the depth of characters.

Bottom line: Interesting reading? Yes. Literature? Oh no.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment